Hi All! Progress on the kitchen is still happening. My father-in-law is starting work on the cabinets soon so Celia and I are trying to get some of the other stuff done. We have now removed all of the ceramic tile and the 1/2 plywood subfloor. Under that is more subfloor in the addition portion of the room and sheet vinyl over the original wood floors on the original portion. I removed all of the sheet vinyl last week, so all that is remaining is the stubborn glue layer. We have a gray colored glue/mastic (as opposed to the black mastic that many old house have). We have yet to find a good way to remove it. What we have tried so far:
Manual scraping, heat gun+scraping, wallpaper steamer, Goo-Gone type remover, paint stripper, and Clean-Strip Adhesive/Mastic Remover.
Next up is the drum sander. Yep, that's right! I bought a drum sander today. I figure that I will be sanding floors for years to come so buying the equipment will be cheaper in the long run.