After the bees were removed, I was left with a rather large hole in the side of my house. The damage included pieces of trim, clapboard siding, and crown molding.
Fabricating the trim pieces were pretty straight forward. I used scrap pine that I had laying around for the edge boards and some preasure treated pine for the 2x3 sill. The bevel (clapboard) siding turned out to be a bit of a challenge. First due to the size I needed. My siding has a 3" reveal (4" board size). The big box stores don't carry a very big selection of bevel siding. They only had 6" and 8" available. I finally found some in-stock at an old-school lumber yard - Sheridan Road Lumber. Very nice people and they were able to load me up with 10 qty 10' lengths of the cedar bevel siding.
Of course since nothing on this house is simple, I couldn't just cut this material to length and tack it up. Instead, my existing siding features a fancy beaded edge. I had to hunt down the proper router bit and setup my Shopsmith for routing. Here you can see the before and after:
The crown molding has been the other big challenge. The molding is a pretty common profile, but it is 6.5" wide. Corsaw Hardwood Lumber had been asked to make a custom set of molding knives. Then the unthunthinkable happened... My father died. This has been devastating to my family and has put everything on hold for some time now. We are now getting back to working on some projects. Its been several weeks now with no word from Corsaw's so I guess I will have to find someone else.