Today after work, I decided that it was time to destroy some stuff! Now that my kitchen is progressing nicely, I wanted to work on resizing a doorway. Currently, it is a normal 80" tall, double wide doorway into the dining room. My suspicions are that the door was originally a 9 foot tall opening (ceilings are 11 foot) that was made smaller to accommodate french doors. I started by scoring the plaster with my angle grind than then attacking it with the hammer and prybar. Here are some pics for your enjoyment.
Now that the plaster and lathe are off the wall I can get a better look at the structure. I am still confident that this doorway used to be 9ft tall. What surprises me is that the doorway appears that it was originally only a single-wide opening.
Now the hard decisions....
a. I can move full steam ahead with my original plan to make this opening taller. Unfortunately the header is not installed correctly. No jack studs.... This means that I would have a far amount of work to rebuild this entire opening.
b. scrap the plan and leave the doorway this size.