Sunday, November 20, 2011

The Surprise in the Garage

Today we worked on a few more misc jobs. We are still battling water issues. We discovered that the hose bib was dripping. It was leaking from two places and wasnt repairable. When I tried to remove the hose bib, the galvenized pipe basically fell apart. Arrg! That meant that this is the second plumbing job that has turned into a big deal. Looking in the basement at the pipes, the trick will be finding a good place to tie in. This hose bib is basically the first branch from the water supply line. If I am not careful, I could easily break more galvenized pipe and be replacing more than I bargained for...
On a better note, I gained access to my garage for the first time. The garage is a detached 2-3/4 car building. Much newer than the main house. The sellers (Well Fargo) lost the keys, so I was forced to break into it. I watched a YouTube Video on how to drill locks to learn the technnique. I took me about 1 hour to drill the handle and the deadbolt.
The best part of the whole day came next. Sitting in the garage is a pair of pocket doors. Even better, someone stripped them down to bare wood! We didnt even know that the house was missing the doors. The doorway leading from the foyer to the parlor has molding covering the pocket door channel. Apparently they removed the doors before they put up the molding. Sitting near the doors were the missing pieces to one of our screen doors. We had been told by the neighor that one of the french screen doors had been damaged in a wind storm and presumably disposed of. The glass panel (2 by 6 divided light window) is removable from the door to be replaced with a screened panel during the summer. More to come on these doors in the future.