Monday, December 5, 2011

Our House's Dirty Little Secret?

We are just beginning to strip all of the doors and trim in this house.  "Just beginning" as in I have striped almost one single door and about 20 linear feet of trim.  The trim and doors seem to be made of pine and I had originally thought they were simply painted white or tan.  Unfortunately no fancy wood species underneath.  However, today while working on the closet door in the girl's room, I noticed that the door appeared to have a faux grain paint job (aka faux bois).  I didn't notice this earlier
a. because I dont think the trim has the same treatment
b. I worked on the back side of the door first.
c. Using the heat gun causes all layers to come up at once.

Take a look.  It looks like they were going for a golden oak look to me.  This surprises me because the stair cases are dark walnut. I would have never even guessed that faux painting would even been a possibility if I had not read about it on Craig & Yvonnes old house blog 6 months ago.  What should I do now?  Has anyone attempted to refinish their doors with faux wood grain?

2 comments:

  1. Sorry, I'm no help. Our house only has 4 of its original doors, and we are in the process of stripping one of them. We plan to just paint it white to match the other doors in the hallway. Not sure what our plans are for the remaining 3.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are many books out on faux grains that are pretty easy to understand and follow along. In addition to the books, there are wood graining tools that are a lifesaver in creating faux grains. You can find them in the paint section of the big box stores such as Lowe's. It's a lot of fun to learn and if you mess up, it's just paint.

    ReplyDelete